Thursday, March 11

Home-made chocolate wagon wheels

homemade wagon wheels

Wagon Wheels inhabit a special place in my imagination. I remember them from childhood as a treat that I always wanted but never got. I remember them as being delicious. So, imagine my disappoint when I eat a Wagon Wheel for the first time in years only to discover that they're, well, not actually that delicious.

I find this happens with a lot of childhood treats, either things just don't taste like they used to or my tongue has gotten pickier. I have a feeling it's a combination of the two. Still, wahtever the reason the disappointment is immense. It's like a betrayal but a whole lot less exaggerated.

wagon wheels

From the betrayal often stems motivation and this time is no exception. When browsing through Cookies by the Australian Woman's Weekly I found a recipe for "Choc-mallow Wheels", knowing they actually meant wagon wheels I vowed to make them.

And the next day I did. An accomplishment for sure, it's not often that I vow to do something and actually do it.

Home-made chocolate wagon wheels

(from Cookies by the Australian Woman's Weekly)
Makes 14

125g (4.4 oz) butter, softened
165g (3/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
1 egg
225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
35g (1/4 cup) self-raising flour
25g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
28 marshmallows
80g (1/4 cup) raspberry jam
375g (13 oz) dark chocolate
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of electric mixer until lightened in colour and texture. Beat int he egg. On the lowest speed, or by hand, stir in the sifted flours and cocoa powder, in two batches.

Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll between two sheets of baking paper until 3 mm (1/8") thick. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease two oven trays and line with baking paper.

Using a 7 cm round fluted cutter, cut 28 rounds from the dough. Place 3cm (1") apart on trays. Bake for 12 minutes and then cool on wire racks.

Turn half the biscuits base-side up and place back on oven tray. Use scissors to cut marshmallows in half horizontally. Press four marshmallow halves, cut side down, onto biscuit bases. Bake for 2 minutes.

Spread remaining halves with jam and press, jam-side down, onto the softened marshmallows. Stand for 20 minutes or until marshmallows are firm.

Melt the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in the oil.

Dip the biscuit wheels into the chocolate and, using a metal spatula smooth away any excess chocolate. Place on baking paper-lined trays to set.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs and I'm intrigued by this dessert, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw these on tastespotting, WONDERFUL!!! I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe and gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, I highly recommend these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question: about how long do these last once they've been made?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie: I'm not sure exactly, as I don't have the book any more but if I recall correctly mine were still good about a week after I made them. I stored mine in an air tight container.

    Everyone else: Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic (I say as I'm scoffing down an Arnott's Wagon Wheel. Definitely going to try my hand at these!
    Catarina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stayed up till two in the morning making these, OH MY GOD! It is like sex on a biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look better than the real thing! I used to love wagon wheels as a child, however, on trying them again as an adult, I was sorely disappointed. I've thought about making my own with homemade biscuits (cookies), homemade marshmallow and coating them in real chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. they look very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics and the recipe looks really easy too - are you able to confirm how many grammes/ounces of marshmallows you used? I have a bag of mini mallows so not sure how many to use for your quantity of 28.
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great biscuts i tried them a few times, I found spreadable marshmallow in a jar, it is american but works very well, can find it in specialty stores or might be able to find it at Woolworths its called marshmallow fluff

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made them and their delicous! I highly recomend them! :)

    ReplyDelete