Wednesday, April 28

Pear & yoghurt cake

pear yoghurt cake

Some cakes have the potential to be the most amazing cakes; they have the potential to be so delicious, and light, and full of flavour. They promise you that they'll fulfil all your cake related dreams and then they let you down.

Or rather, you let them down. You mix up the ingredients, or you mix it wrong, or you combine everything in the wrong order, or you take it out of the oven too early.

Yet the cake refuses to fail you, like a loyal puppy that tries and tries and tries. You screwed up but the cake refuses to suck. Even after all the issues it's still pretty delicious. Or as delicious as a cake with issues can be.

This cake is one of those cakes. It's a mess but it still tastes pretty good. Admittedly, I did have to chop the middle out because it wasn't cooked properly. Patience is not a virtue that I often have so naturally I removed the cake from the oven too early. I didn't realise until after I'd un-moulded the cake that the centre wasn't cooked. I swear I checked it, I may not have checked it properly or thoroughly but I checked it. lesson learnt, check things properly and be patient.

So, in short - this would be an amazing cake if I'd cooked it properly but it's not because I screwed up. The bits that are cooked are amazing though, the rest of the cake is significantly less nice.

I've included the recipe even though it's unlikely that anyone will want to try it after my disaster. That said, I know that I will be trying is cake again sometime in the future!

Pear & yoghurt cake

(adapted from Decadence: Desserts by Philip Johnson)
makes one 20cm cake

145g unsalted butter
165g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
250g self raising flour, sifted
35ml milk
165g greek yoghurt
2 pears, peeled cored, and chopped

Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F). Grease and line the base of a 20cm spring-form cake tin with baking paper.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, Add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. beat in half the sifted flour, then all the milk. Add half the yoghurt and mix well to combine. Gradually add the remaining flour and yoghurt and mix until just combined. Lastly, fold the pears through.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool on a a wire rack.

10 comments:

  1. I love baking with pears - they are wonderful and not used as much as they should!
    Beautiful cake - cakes made with yogurt are always so moist, super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teeheehee.I had a great laugh reading this post. Must get yoghurt and try it out. Hope mine cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you hadn't told us no one would have known that you screwed up. Looks perfect to me. So moist and I love the little drizzle of cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have known there was a "disaster" if you hadn't told me! It looks fab!

    I have a bad habit of taking cakes out just a bit too early...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would have guessed this is a mess up, its looks absolutely wonderful.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks perfect. Try again. I am going to make this. I love pears and always try tp encorprate them in something...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I would've been pulling it out of the oven too soon, too . . . I'm just that way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia: Pears are my favourite too, I try to bake with them as much as I can!

    Lengie: I'm glad I got a laugh!

    Thibeault's Table: The tricky that is photography! Thank you!

    Whisk-kid: I have that habit too, it's because I thinkt he sooner it comes out the sooner I can eat it!

    Heavenly Housewife: Thank you!

    Joudie: I hope yours goes well and you're more patient than I was.

    Julie: Thank you, it's hard to resist taking things out early sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. is it 35ml milk or 350 ml milk??? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anonymous,

    Just letting you know the recipe is correct when it says 35ml milk as most of the liquid in the recipe is provided by the yoghurt :)

    ReplyDelete