Monday, August 9

Lime & ricotta baked doughnuts

Lime and Ricotta Baked Doughnuts

I'm not sure how I feel about these. There's something a little off about baked doughnuts, something not quite right about them. I get the same feeling from these doughnuts I get when I accidentally buy low-fat sour cream, or fat free yoghurt. it comes from the knowledge that someone is telling a lie when they say the 'healthier' alternative is just as good as the real thing.

I'm not converted to baked doughnuts. It's not that these don't taste nice, because they do, it's just that they don't taste right. They're shaped like doughnuts, sugar coated like doughnuts, coloured like doughnuts but they're not doughnuts. If you put a plate of these next to a plate of real doughnuts, everyone would spot the impostor in an instant.

08_10---Lime-and-Ricotta-Baked-Doughnuts2

Nevertheless, these aren't bad - in fact they're pretty good. They're just not doughnuts. The lime flavour goes rather well with the ricotta. I'm definitely going to make lime doughnuts again in the future but it certainly won't be with this recipe. The orange and cinnamon doughnuts I made earlier cry out to be lime flavoured and filled with ricotta.

I'm definitely a deep fried doughnut kind of girl.

Anyway, I'm making it sound like these were bad but really they weren't. they were actually thoroughly enjoyable, I'm just a bit of a negative nelly sometimes! I also love deep fried things, so there in lies the problem with these doughnuts. It's not them, it's me.

Lime & ricotta baked doughnuts

(adapted from Gourmet Traveller)
makes about 12 small doughnuts

For the doughnuts

375g plain flour
70g caster sugar
4g instant dried yeast
Finely grated rind of 1 lime
125ml milk, lukewarm
40ml yoghurt
1 egg, at room temperature
15g butter, melted
Oil, for greasing
Milk, for brushing

For the ricotta filling

125g ricotta
25g caster sugar
Finely grated rind and juice of 1/2 a lime

For the lime sugar

80g caster sugar
Finely grated rind of 1/2 a lime
50g butter, melted

For the doughnuts, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and lime rind in the bowl of electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.

In a large jug, whisk together the milk, yoghurt, egg, and melted butter and, with the motor running, add to the flour mixture. Mix on low-medium speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 4-5 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and stand in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, about 1-1 1/2 hours.

meanwhile, process all the ingredients for the lime ricotta filling in a food processor or a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until required.

Once the dough is fully risen, knock it back and turn it out on to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough 5mm thick then, using 5cm and 6cm cutters, cut an equal number of rounds out of the dough. Place the smaller rounds on a lined baking tray. Place heaped teaspoons of ricotta filling in the centre of each round. Brush the edges of each round with a small amount of milk, then cover with the larger rounds and press to seal the edges. Trim with a a 5cm cookie cutter if required. Stand the dough in a warm place until well risen, about 1-1 1/2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Bake the doughnuts for 8-10 minutes, or until just golden.

Whilst the doughnuts are baking, prepare the lime sugar. Combine the lime zest and sugar in a bowl, then spread out on a tray. Once the doughnuts are baked, dip them in the melted butter and toss in lime sugar. Serve hot.

5 comments:

  1. These doughtnuts sounds appelling! I like the combination of lime and ricotta!! Plus, they are cuttteee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had an eye on that recipe ever since the magazine arrived. Gotta try them - I like the idea of baked doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lime and Riccota and baked donuts! I love the combination. I can see why you liked deep fried ones, I do too. Once in a while I like to eat healthier food so I can freak out later on all other fatty food! Pictures looks so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your presentation is gorgeous, and more than makes up for any natural bias a fried food lover might have ;).

    ~Kurious Kitteh

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good! Will try them soon as I love anything "lime". Is there a recipe, do you know, of the doughnuts that you see in bakeries that are cream filled with strawb jam? I think they're baked as well, but soooo yum. :)

    ReplyDelete