Friday, October 8

Brown sugar sponge cake with cream cheese icing

10_10---Sponge-Cake-with-Cream-Cheese

Always make sure your camera battery is charged before you set up a photo. In fact, always make sure your camera battery is charged before you even think about taking pictures. Don't go to check if it's charged after you've set up a picture. Worst of all, don't set up a picture, discover your camera battery isn't charged, charge it for under 10 minutes, and expect to be able to take more than 6 shots. Just don't do it, it won't work, you'll just be disappointed.

Can you tell I just did this? In fact, I do it all the time, I rarely charge my camera battery unless I actually need my camera and, as you would expect, when I actually need my camera is when I want to take photos. But I can't because I forgot to charge the battery, as usual. You would think I would just get into the habit of charging my camera after I use it. Or, even forbid, keeping one battery charged at all times. That's right, there's more than battery... and they're both flat. All the time.

This cake is pretty flat too, but that's only because it's small. Small and delicious. So delicious I wanted to be able to share more than one picture of it with you, but I can't because I forgot to charge my camera battery. Surely I'm not the only one like this?

I made this cake for J because he likes sponge cake and I normally don't. I do, however, like brown sugar and cream cheese. J likes brown sugar and cream cheese too so this keeps us both happy.

I wouldn't say this is a sweet cake, in fact it's rather tart. That'd be the pomegranate molasses I decided to add on a whim. The pomegranate molasses I explicitly went out to buy for a reason then promptly forgot what that reason was. My life has a bit of a theme at the moment and that theme is forgetting things.

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't forget to take this cake out of the oven. Really glad.

Brown sugar sponge cake with cream cheese icing

(adapted from Gourmet Traveller
makes one 20cm cake layer

3 eggs, at room temperature
40g (1.5 oz) brown sugar
40g (1.5oz) caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
75g (2.5oz) plain flour, triple sifted
1/16 teaspoon baking powder (or just a pinch)
30g (1 oz) butter, melted then cooled

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter one 20-diameter cake tin, then line the base with baking paper.

Whisk the eggs, sugars, and vanilla using an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture has tripled in volume and holds a trail, about 60-8 minutes.

Sift half the flour and the baking powder over the egg mixture, and fold gently through. Sift over the remaining flour and fold to combine, then fold in the butter.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake is dark golden and the centre springs back when gently pressed. Cool slightly in tin and then turn out and cool complete on a wire rack.

For the icing

125g cream cheese, at room temperature
250ml (1 cup) pouring cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
30g (1 oz) brown sugar

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until it is soft and malleable. Swap to the beater attachment, then add the cream, vanilla, pomegranate molasses, and brown sugar. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until required.

To assemble the cake

Slice the cooled cake horizontal into two equal halves. Remove the top half, then spread the lower half with cream cheese icing. Sandwich the two halves. Ice the outside with remaining icing mixture, then refrigerate until required.

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm this cake looks delicious! I love the use of brown sugar.

    Like you, I've set up to take a photo of my baking only to find that the camera is not charged. Frustrating isn't it? In fact I did this with my recent post. Note to self, charge the camera before you set up a shot. Anyway, even with the one shot your cake looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummiiii!!! I loooovvveeee brown sugar, it's so good. With the ice cream icing your cake looks so good! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I do have the same charging problems. sometimes i take my pictures with the charger plugged in (my camera allows me to do that). There is a bit of mobility issues of course, but its better than nothing i guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks heavenly! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your pictures are amazing.
    i'm rather anal about keeping my cameras charged up, i have a fear of not being able to capture a moment. same thing with having gas in the car, i usually fill up before the light comes on....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually am so organised with camera batteries charging but some little imp has taken my batteries so I am glad of this reminder

    I love cream cheese frosting and brown sugar but not so keen on sponge cake so maybe i would like this too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I've selected your photo above to be used in my August favorites round up for my blog. I'm asking permission to use the photo linking credit back to you. Please let me know if you would grant permission. The cake is beautiful and we all know that Aug. 23 is Sponge Cake day. Best regards,
    Jackie Hale
    Galexi Cupcakes & Sweets

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://galexicupcakes.blogspot.com/2011/08/august-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yr welcome!! Your blog is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete