Thursday, October 21

White chocolate & blueberry muffins

10_10---Blueberry-Lemon-Muffins

Stress baking can take two forms. When you stress bake you can either make something super complicated and inevitably mess it up a lot, or you can make something incredibly simple and mess it up but only a little bit. Yesterday I opted for the latter - what I ended up with were these muffins which, despite my small mishap, are delicious and fill some kind of void in my stomach.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who stress bakes (or cleans, or sews.) Stress baking helps to take my mind off whatever is causing the stress. And I end up with something to eat too - something that too often gets forgotten when I'm stressed or worried. We all have bad habits.

Stress baking is the same as nervous baking, which is the same as worry baking. They're all caused by different things but the result is essentially the same. Regardless of what brings on the kitchen frenzy, the result is always something tasty with something ever so slightly wrong with it. I do all these kinds of baking but mostly I do 'for fun' baking.

Truthfully, I wasn't stress baking at all yesterday. I was nervous/excited baking. Nervous baking is better than nervous giggling because no one else knows you're doing it.

What do you know when you're stressed or nervous about something?

So, this recipe is incredibly simple and will probably become one of my go to recipes when I need something quick and easy. When I made mine I accidentally doubled the oil, the recipe I've included has the correct amount of oil. If you do, for some reason, put in twice as much oil, don't worry, your muffins will be fine.

(Also, yesterday was my birthday which would make me 22 now. I'm currently making an awesome mousse cake - expect pictures!)

White chocolate & blueberry muffins

(adapted from Simple Essentials: Chocolate by Donna Hay)
makes 9 small muffins

150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
80g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
30ml (1/8 cup) vegetable oil
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup chopped white chocolate

Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 10 standard (125ml, approx) muffin cups with papers.

Place the flour and sugar into a bowl and mix to combine. Combine the sour cream, egg, lemon zest, vegetable oil, and milk in a separate bowl and whisk together. Stir the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold through the blueberries and white chocolate.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, then bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.

6 comments:

  1. These muffins are so pretty and they looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to find a really good blueberry muffin recipe - these are luscious! I absolutely love your photos.
    Baking to me is the best thing to to when I'm stressed/mad/sad about something... It seems to calm me down like nothing else does. And listening to Smiths helps a lot, too. :D

    Happy birthday, sweetie! May all the best come your way!
    xx

    P.S.: you're so young! I'm 10 years older than you... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. happy birthday to you! yesterday was the first day of your journey around the sun, enjoy the ride.

    2. stress baking is great because it forces you to concentrate on something other than what is stressing you. plus, if it's bread baking? oh the kneading you can accomplish to the dough...

    3. when i'm stressed, i also spend time in the kitchen. there's just something about being in the kitchen that is a balm to a troubled heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!
    These muffins look great. And you don't have to call them mess-ups... it's just artistic liberty! Despite some extra oil, they look fantastic- i'm sure they tasted great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated!
    I stress bake a lot, especially lately. These look lovely though and blueberry and white chocolate? Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would totally bake these muffins. They look simply delightful!! Found you on Tastespotting! Glad I did! Hope you like my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete